I have too many results. How can I narrow my search?
There are a few techniques to try:
- Think of terms that are more specific and try changing the keywords or terms.
- Add search terms. You may find more specific or additional keywords in your search results or in the list of limiters in the Refine Search options.
- Use limiters such as date and resource type to retrieve a targeted results list. For example, you can search for peer-reviewed articles within the past 5 years.
- Think about a more focused aspect of your topic. If you are researching plastics in oceans, then perhaps choose a specific ocean and focus on plastic bags.
- Do not use OR between search terms.
Finding sources can be complicated. If you've been looking for 5 or 10 minutes and haven't found what you're looking for, contact us for help.
Adapted from Portland State University's Library DIY.